After all of this I have been thinking about what I will be writing next. I might be jumping the gun just a little bit, as I do really want to edit and revise the story I wrote for NaNoWriMo in November. But as I said before, I think I need to just take a little break from that and let everything sink in and settle around in my brain just a bit. During this past year, I had been working quite a little bit on a story that I started imagining when I was back in college. I sat many hours thinking of how things happened and working through everything. Many of these hours were during the 3 hour drive between Wayne and Worms. It was something to keep me busy as I traveled back and forth to college. At some point I actually did start to write some of this story down. Much of it though had been stored only in my mind. There are a few things that have been modified over the years as I changed things. But all in all it is pretty much the story that I made up while I was in college. This past year I have been working on it quite a bit. I am getting very close to having it actually finished. And by finished I mean that I have typed all of it out and saved it on my computer. There are still gaps in it that I need to work on and probably several things that need to be fixed. But I have been doing my editing while I worked on this one. When Jonathan first mentioned the NaNoWriMo, I was thinking "Yes, I can finally finish my story." But for NaNoWriMo, we were to start a brand new story, one that we had maybe only worked out character and basic outline. So I couldn't use this story. And now it has been on hold for over a month. The last few days, I have had the file with the last written chapter open on my computer. I have read over it several times. Last night I even typed in a couple of new paragraphs. I know all of what is going to happen next, I have seen it over and over. I remember it. Now I just need to get written. One thing that is very interesting about this story is that I can actually 'remember' things about it. I don't mean I remember what I made up. I do of course. But it is more like I remember or have memories of the main character (or me) in the story. There are things in the story that actually make me feel a certain way, when I think of the sad things that happened to her/me it actually makes me feel sad. There is one other of my stories that has this effect on me. It is like I actually see these things, or remember them. The main character from each of these stories is me. And I guess the main character in my NaNoWriMo novel is me as well. Which is why I probably like it as much as I do.
While thinking back to Beria and my story, I came across a different story idea. I had at some point written down about 5 or 6 paragraphs and a few of the character's name. I have been thinking that I will start writing this story. For a bit I thought I should save it for NaNoWriMo and next November. But I don't think I want to wait that long. So I got me a new little notebook and wrote down the beginning of this new story. Now I am undecided as to if I should finish up my Beria story or work on this new one. And then there is always the third option of working on my NaNoWriMo novel and getting that into a more userfriendly form. Melinda was excited today to see my new notebook. She wanted to know what story I am going to be writing in that book.
Oh, and I suppose this would be a good point to add this. But last month both of the girls started writing a story with me. It was so cool to see them taking turns at the computer writing their stories. As they finish up their stories, I will let them add their stories to the blog so that they will be able to share them with everyone. They don't seem to have the same issue that I do about other people reading their stories. They are also working on the illustrations for their books. Actually I think Ella 'hired' Melinda as her illustrator. I can't wait to see how they turn out.
No comments:
Post a Comment