Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Beginning

I am trying to think back to what might have been the first 'story' I wrote. I don't even know what that would be. I can look back to the oldest story I still have in my possession. That is a story that I wrote when I was in 8th grade. It was actually a school assignment. My school, Zion Lutheran school was 100 years old and we were celebrating. For our school operetta that year we were gathering old stories as well as newer ones. And our teachers were putting a play together with us acting out these stories. It was great. I loved that operetta. And this is where our story writing assignment came in. As it turns out, I (Lisa of 1984) got to read part of my story in our play. We were talking about our assignments and such, and later it flashed back to some time in the past where there was something going on in our school in the past. Well, the story that I wrote was about our school in the future, 50 years, in 2034 and how they were getting ready to celebrate the school being 150 years old. I will type up this old, old story and post it here in a bit.

Now I know that this was not the first thing that I had written. My dad had bought a TRS 80 computer. That was so exciting. I loved that computer. My dad had a book that taught you BASIC programing. He worked his way through the book and made us some fun games. I thought this was about the most amazing thing, being able to get the computer to do what you wanted. So, I read through his book and taught myself BASIC programming. Some of my first programs were like choose your own adventure books. I would make up stories with choices to make along the way. And then I put them onto the computer. When I was in the Big Room (6-8 grade) we had a TRS 80 computer at school. Whenever I had free time I would do the same thing at school. So I guess I had been writing a lot of choose your own adventure type stories. I don't think I have any of these anymore.

I also remember writing a couple of other story or story idea's while I was still at school in Worms. But I do not remember if these came before or after this assignment. I will have to look through my notebooks of nearly forgotten stories to see if any of these are from that time. Or if I can even remember which ones they were.

During my last year or two at Worms is also when we started the Lake Story. This is the story that we acted out at my Grandpa's lake lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment