Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Days 10-11: Homeward

We got up early that morning and loaded the car.  I was actually really sad about leaving Wales.  Some part of me was ready to go home and some part of me really wanted to stay.  But it was time.  We had a long drive, a 3 hour ferry ride, a 8 1/2 hour plane ride, 6 hour layover, 1 1/2 plan ride and a 3 hour car ride.  Yes, sore butts all around.  So much sitting.  So much waiting.

I can't say the days went by quickly.  But also they were not terrible.  Of course there were frantic moments, going to customs, hurrying to get places on time, and whatnot.  But mostly we just sat for two days... all the while getting closer to home.  Getting closer to life and the stresses that were going to be waiting there.

And of course there was no sleep.  The clock moved backwards, but our bodies felt the passage of time.  27 hours after waking up on the 6th of June we were back at home ready to fall into our beds.

Back in NE and my own car, I had once or twice felt the urge to drive on the wrong side of the road... and never once did I have the crushing feeling of being 'hugged' the the hedges and smallness of the Welsh roads.

We had a wonderful adventure, something we will remember for the rest of our lives.  I am so very happy that we were able to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment