Today we were going to be heading to
Hay-on-Wye. We had originally picked these days for our trip so that
we would be able to go to the Hay festival. But after the whole
driving experience I was worried about going to a place I knew to be
so busy. We had decided that we should go, because we had really
wanted to go. I mean who wouldn't want to go to a town that has 20
bookstores in it?
We drove down and through this new area
of Wales. In fact Hay-on-Wye is across the border and on the England
side. The ride on the bus was quite exciting. I am super happy I
didn't have to drive through those streets. The town was lovely. So
many interesting buildings and shops. We rode all the way through
the town and up to the festival site.
Now here is the funny thing, there are
authors here signing books and giving talks. I had hoped that I
would be able to find someone that I knew. That I could continue my
closeness to writers that I had every time I went to WorldCon or even
ConStellation. But after looking through the list of authors that
was going to be there, I realized I had no idea who any of them were.
We got off of the bus, they also had
city buses that would take you back into town. This was good to
know. I am sure we could have walked but it was still nice not to
have to.
We found a place to eat. Then we
wondered around the festival site. So many different kinds of food.
There were also other kinds of vendors out there. Then we went into
the main bookseller room. As I wondered around, I realized just how
many of these people were 'British' authors and we just don't even
have them on our bookshelves back in America. It was dumbfounding.
I rarely found a book by an author I knew. I looked through the
children's book, the fiction, shelf after shelf and only one or two
that I had even heard of.
We continued around the festival site.
Then stopped at the bathroom (toilets). Now normally I am not huge
in talking about toilets, but I am going to make an exception here.
These appeared to be what we would call porta-potties. I was not all
that happy about needing to use them. But I didn't know if we would
find a different option in the small shops and stores that we would
be heading to soon.
So off to the porta-potties...
All I can say is WOW! We totally need
these things in America. They were not the yucky, smelly, plastic
boxes that we were used to. They were a sort of trailer (portable).
You step inside and find a sink with running water and four real live
bathroom stalls with flush toilets. Of course the stall were small,
but not much smaller than our yucky porta-potties. Flush the clean
nice toilet. Wash your hands. And we were one our way.
After our bathroom adventure we got on
the city bus so that we could go down and wander through all of the
bookstores. I do believe that I would have enjoyed the bookstores
more on a non-festival day. It was quite busy all around. But I
have never been in or even imagined a town with so many bookstores.
It as really awesome. It was nice to just be able to look around so
many stores. Some of them were several stories high. There were
bookshelves around every room and sometimes even up and down the
stairs. I have to say I was very good and did not really buy books.
I had to remember that I would need to take them home on the ferry
and then the plane.
It was a good day of being surrounded
by books. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment