syn·op·sis [si-nop-sis]
noun, plural syn·op·ses [-seez]
- a brief or condensed statement giving a general view of some subject.
- a compendium of heads or short paragraphs giving a view of the whole.
- a brief summary of the plot of a novel, motion picture, play, etc.
This doesn't sound like a big deal.
This doesn't sound like it should be a hard thing to do. But for
some reason, this is something that I have been avoiding. When
looking at submitting one of my novels, I see that I must send a
synopsis to many of the publishers. So then the question before me
is how do I summarize and condense all of those words into a few
short pages or paragraphs? What can I say about my story that will
make an editor actually want to read it?
This is similar to when someone asked,
“What is your novel about?” I find this a very difficult
question to answer. I am sure that given time and practice I might
be able to more easily answer this question. Just as writing a
synopsis will likely become more easy. But for me, writing the words
of my story was easy. It was fun. I enjoyed this time. This, what
I am doing now, is work. But I suppose it is something I must learn
to do if I have any hope of actually doing this thing. Baby steps.
Yesterday I started making an outline
for my story, chapter by chapter. Yes, this might seem backwards.
Shouldn't I have written an outline before I wrote the story. Well,
my answer here is, maybe. But I didn't. At one time I had all of
the pieces written on notecards so that I could move them around to
see how best they fit together. If I knew where those cards might be
it would have been easy to use them for this outline of my synopsis.
So the last two days I have worked
through my story, pulling out the most important bits. All in all it
didn't take that much time. 15 minutes here, 20 there. Last night I
finished the last chapter. I guess this means that today, I will
have to start putting the words of the outline together and see what
I end up with. Hopefully it won't be something horrid.
Hehe.. So what is my story about
anyhow? Well, it is about this girl, who... I think it still needs
a little work.
No comments:
Post a Comment