Thursday, May 26, 2016

Day 2: Ireland




Christ Church Cathedral:

We started off the day walking all the way back to Dublina. Not really for Dublina, but we had bought the tickets for Christ Church Cathedral while at Dublina, they were connected by this really awesome bridge. In fact had we not been so totally exhausted, we would had explored the church yesterday. But I knew that we would get more out of it if we waited.


So walking, again, no street signs. But this time we know where we are going. We make it there with no problems. We had already taken pictures of the outside of the Cathedral yesterday, we we headed inside.


This cathedral was setup in much the same way as the one from yesterday. It was smaller. Which is almost a laugh when you consider the size. Behind the main sanctuary there are several smaller 'chapel' areas. Words are hard to describe things. I know that I am supposed to be a writer. But it is easier to feel these places. Windows, stone, carvings, two story high organ, Mmm, just wow. Then we went downstairs into the basement, or crypt. These places are so old it is hard for me to comprehend it.


The inner geek in me, found the burial place of Henry Mathias of the H.M.S. Enterprise a very happy thing. A mixing of time long ago, with my visions of the future.


Dublin Castle:

After the cathedral we went to Dublin Castle. This was a very interesting place as well. We had learned some about Dublin Castle at the Dublina museum the day before. The tower is the only part of the old castle. The rest has been build at different times. This building is still used today. We got to explore the state rooms. All very beautiful and fancy. Here again, the rooms are huge, the ceilings are 20-25 feet high. I love old buildings. I love the woodwork, the details, the feel of these places. And I could have stayed here for a very long time, just being in this place. But sadly we only have a short time and so many things to do and see. We did got to the little museum that was attacked to the Castle. We also explored the gardens and watched the birds fly.


The National Gallery:

After a short stop at our hotel, just for drinks and a tiny bit of rest we were ready to continue. This afternoon we headed over to the National Gallery of Ireland. This was only a block from our hotel. Actually there were three museums just a block from our hotel, and Trinity College was just across the street. But there was no way we would be able to get to all of the places that we wanted to go. So we had chosen the National Gallery. Time for some art. :) Of course we were not able to take pictures in the gallery. But we loved looking at all of the paintings. This was not nearly as large as the art museum we had gone to in KC a couple of years ago. But it was really nice.


They also had a special exhibit of several of Leonardo Da Vinci's sketches. These are really liked, as did the kids.


Before we left we walked through the gift shop. Zeb picked out one of his favorite prints. You know he enjoyed the gallery.


Trinity College:

We then hurried to Trinity College. I wanted to see the Book of Kells. We got there just as the last tour was leaving. In fact we had missed the first few minutes of the tour. But that was fine. Trinity College was amazing. I am so glad that we paid to go on the tour. The guide was very interesting and told us so many facts.


The Book of Kells was beautiful. Sadly it was very crowded around the book. I would have enjoyed just being in there by myself. Then there was the long library. Mmm.. Look at this library. I am sure no one would believe this, but I could live in this library. I could just stay there forever and be very happy.


By now of course it was getting rather late. We headed back towards the hotel. We decided to have supper in a pub. Tomorrow we would be heading for Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment