Last night we had bit of a storm. The interesting thing is that I had been thinking about this topic for the blog, but then after the storm all of it seemed to fall into place.
Yesterday, June 3rd, was the anniversary of the tornadoes that destroyed GI when I was 10 years old. I still very clearly remember that night. I also remember what the town looked like for years after, still seeing the damage or knowing that something that used to be there was just gone. Then there was Tornado Hill. And finally the book, "The Night of the Twisters." I have read that book several times. Scary.
We knew that there were going to be storms last night. They had been forecasting it. They had been reminding us that it was June 3rd and we were likely to get tornadoes again this June 3rd. I had been prepared for storms. But still when you hear the sound of the hail pounding on your roof, well it is just not a good feeling.
Of course the funny thing is that I had talked to the kids about the possibility of storms last night. They all thought better to have hail than a tornado. Hehe, like we would get to pick. And at the time I almost disagreed with them. But in the end I had to agree with them, if you were actually going to have a tornado knocking on your door, yes, hail would be better. Though most tornado warnings do not bring tornadoes to your home. Hail on the other hand, is shared with anyone nearby.
This morning it was this thought that mixed inside of my brain with that blog topic that I have been thinking about. Lately there seems to have been quite a few loud and hurtful disagreements between several groups that I am involved with or a part of. I have not been a part to any of these discussions, besides reading about them on FB. Though several of my friends have been. I am the type of person that goes and hides under a table when there is conflict. I did not like seeing what was happening but just couldn't get involved. Partly I feel a little on the outside of that group, just watching. And partly it was just my duck and cover protection kicking into place. Though I have talked about these things several times with a good friend. He has lately been getting more involved in these going ons, not feeling like he can stand by and let things happen.
As I sit and watch and read, I find it hard to understand why it is even happening. Don't people realize that they are hurting other people? Are they actually trying to hurt other people? What is to be gained from these disagreements? I don't believe that much good can come out of something like that.
"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." This is something I had heard over and over again. Mostly it is something that I live by. Going out of your way to say something hurtful is always and only going to hurt everyone, yourself included, just like a hail storm.
The corn doesn't look too good after last night's hail. And why should it, balls of ice were hurled at it by the 75-80 mph wind. This is exactly what people have been doing to each other. The things they have been saying and doing are just like that hail storm. They might not be killing the other person, but they are causing severe damage. But the really sad thing is that it is not just that one person who has been hurt, it is the whole field. Every corn plant in the field is bent and ripped to shreds. It is just the same with these arguments and disagreements.
Here is where the tornado comes into play. A tornado could touch down. It would completely destroy one house, or one area. But leave the rest unharmed. Sometimes this is also how people deal with each other. I have seen this happen over the last several months as well. It almost feels like there is no rhyme or reason. The tornado just pops up, touches down and destroys something. Then the rest of us are just sitting there wondering what just happened? I must have missed something. We stand there and think, "Lucky that wasn't me."
Now I know I don't have the answers. And I know there there comes a time when you have to stand up and shout. Trust me if anyone hurt my kids, that would be one mighty storm filled with hail and tornadoes. But most of the time it would be best for all of us just to have the gentle rain. It would be best to either choose not to say anything at all... or at the very least do it in a way that doesn't involve balls of ice being hurled at someone.
The gentle rain soaks into the ground. It doesn't damage the field. It helps it to grow stronger.
No comments:
Post a Comment