Well it seems that once again Jamie and
his blog has brought me back here, to my own blog. This morning I
read his 'confession' about naming the characters in his stories.
This of course did just exactly what he meant it to do. I got to
thinking about the names that I have given people and things.
I guess that I am not always consistent
in the way that I hand out names. There are characters that I have
just given the first name that I could think of. Then there are
characters who have been given a name because of the meaning. I
might know what I want the name to mean, maybe foreshadowing
something that would happen in the story. I might search for days
for the perfect name. The funny thing is I have even picked the name
because the meaning of the name would not fit the character. Other
times the name I pick is due to the sound or feel of it. It was a
name that flowed, it needed a certain sound to be right for the
character.
But more and more, I lean towards
picking the right name and not just the first thing I think of. If
cannot come up with a name as I am writing I will leave a marker
(NAME1 or Doc's NAME). I will do this so that I do not waste time on
it as I am writing. Sometimes this person's name will come to me as
I continue on through the story. But often, I will have to search
for it.
The thoughts of how I named my
characters also brought me to how I named my children. My youngest
daughter has a name that means “dark-haired gift of God.” This
name was chosen for her because we knew that it would fit her. When
we first started looking for names one of our favorites meant blond
or light haired. We knew that our daughter would never be light
haired and it seemed wrong to give her a name that meant that. So
even though we liked that name we continued the search. My older
daughter's name means “elven light.” This now is a perfect name
for this girl. Though at the time we gave her the name we did not
know how well it would fit her personality. I wonder if she grew
into the name or if we just somehow knew that it would be the right
one for her. Now my son's name came from one of his father's
favorite SF novels. This seems a perfect way for a geek's child to
be named. But even here there were layers of meaning. My son's name
and his father's name share the same meaning. So based on the
meaning of the name he was named after his father. And on top of
that, it was very similar to the name of one of the characters in the
novel I was writing.
To me giving my characters the 'right'
name is very important. I know that most people may never know or
even care why I used the names that I do. But it is still important
to me. I have spent a great many hours with my baby name book or
name websites. Often that is how I start a new story, picking the
names of the main characters. I can't get to know them until I have
named them.
No comments:
Post a Comment