The 70th Worldcon - The World Science Fiction Convention
This was my first convention ever and to say that it was amazing is a huge understatement. From the moment we walked into the door it was like I was home. These were 'my' people. They were people who were interested in the same things as I am. They think about the same things as I do. They were doing or had done the same things as I want to do. I was not just that Nebraska farm girl who was interested in odd things. I was just one of thousands of others who was excited about the upcoming episode of Doctor Who and liked geeky things.
Part of me felt so much like a fan girl. I was just amazed that I would find myself in the same room as so many authors, Neil Gaiman, David Brin, or George R.R. Martin and so many more. I had read the words that they had written and here they were sitting only feet away from me. There were so many things to see and do that it was hard to figure out what I wanted to do.
And yet so much of what I got out of the weekend had nothing to do with that. I had promised that Thursday, the first day of the convention, I would start using the word 'writer' to describe me. This is still something that I find hard to do. Words are powerful. They mean something to me. I have been working the last several months on editing two of my 'novels.' This is another word that I find hard to use when talking about my own words. To say that I write stories, is much easier than to say I am a writer or that I wrote a novel.
Being able to sit at a table in the bar or in the SFWA suite with others, people who are writers and editors, well that was just incredible. But the most incredible thing about it was that many of the things they were talking about were my own fears. They were questions that I had been asking myself. They were talking about their work and things they did, and I found out that I did many of these things myself. These people made me feel that maybe I am a writer. Maybe someday I will be sitting there at the bar talking while someone is listening and wondering if they might someday be able to do this amazing thing themselves. It made me feel just a little bit more brave about the next steps that I need to take to make that happen.
Chicon 7 was an adventure that I will remember for the rest of my life! I can't wait for Lone Star Con 3 next year.
I went through that very same thing myself. It was hard to call myself a writer for a long time. It wasn't really until other writers and editors treated me like a writer that I started to say, okay, I guess that's what I am! I think nearly everyone goes through this. Each time is a little easier.
ReplyDeleteGreat getting to meet you in Chicago!
You are a writer, Lisa. I am an avid reader and have read your works. I consider it a privilege that you have allowed me to do so. One day soon I just know I will see your books in "hard copy". You go, girl!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jamie, it was great meeting you in Chicago as well. I know that you understand this, but it is very helpful to know that others have felt these same things.
ReplyDeleteHey Lin and Rich/Dad, I am working on that "hard copy". Thank you for helping me to be a little bit more brave about sharing my words with others and being so encouraging. :)