Computer History and Me
Due to me once again being cut off from
the Internet last night, I had several thoughts about computers and
me. Not having access to the normal things that I would have done or
used the Internet for last night (and every time that it happens here
in the Internet provider dessert of middle Nebraska), I had to do
other things. Haha, Like click the 'connect' button a 1,000 or more
times just to see if it would actually connect this time. Or the
other thought – where can I go to borrow someone
else's connection?
Of course this made
me start to think about my computer and in turn where it all started
for me...
Way
back in time, when I was in 3rd
or 4th
grade, my Dad made a most amazing purchase. He bought us a TRS-80
computer. Wow! This was such an exciting object. Never before had
there been such a thing in our house. :D It was beautiful. It was
magical. It had a monitor. It had a keyboard. And of course it had
a cassette player. The TRS-80 only had 2 K of memory. Simple,
ordinary e-mails we send out now are bigger than 2 K.
With
the computer my Dad had also gotten a game.
It was saved on a cassette tape. This game was a text adventure
where we had to use clues to work our way through a haunted house.
:D The name of the game was Haunted House. It was the most awesome
thing I had known. My family and I spent hours in front of that
computer trying to come up with the one or two word commands to type
that would move us to the next part of the game.
get rope
take rope
use rope
throw rope
tie rope
drop rope
It was love. :D I
was hooked. Computers were cool. Now, I am not sure exactly why or
for whom my Dad purchased the computer. But we all seemed to enjoy
it.
The computer came
also with a manual to learn BASIC, which is really what the computer
was for. We only had the one game you see. Over the next few months
or maybe a year, my Dad worked his way through that BASIC manual. He
taught himself how to program that computer to do things. During
this time he made a couple more games for us, saving them on a
different cassette. One of the games was Tic Tac Toe. We would play
against the computer. It was not possible to beat the computer in
this game. You could only hope to tie the computer. Dad also wrote
a sub search text game. It was similar to our Haunted House game,
with fewer details to be worked out. I seem to vaguely remember a
few more things that Dad programmed but can't tell you anymore what
they were.
In the
back of the BASIC manual there were several programs that one could
type into the computer, sample programs I would call them. I
remember one of our favorites. It was our favorite for a couple of
reasons; first, it was one of the shortest programs to type in –
typing was not one of mine or my brothers skills at the time, and
second, it was awesome. The typing was careful work. It took a long
time. Often when I was finished and ran the program I found that it
did not work. Somewhere I had typed something wrong or forgot
something. But once you had typed all those many characters into the
computer you could sit and watch as the screen was lit up, randomly,
pixel by pixel. My brothers and I loved to watch this. The funny
thing is that it took hours for this to happen. So we would sit and
watch at it started. Then we would go outside or somewhere to play,
coming back every so often to check the monitor. We did not want to
miss the end when the last few pixels where lit up.
Over the next
couple of years of my life I sat at the computer with that manual and
taught myself how to program. I was learning another language, and
this language let me communicate with the computer. I could cause
things to happen. :D
10 print “Hello
Lisa”
20 end
This
is where my new found computer skills merged with my love of writing.
My brother, Jason, and I liked to read 'Choose your own adventure'
books. I could see how these books were exactly like the 'Haunted
House' game. There was an amount of text followed by a question, a
choice that had to be made. So I started to write my own choose your
own adventure stories. This was followed by the code to put them on
the computer. By now I was in the Big Room (6th
- 8th
grade) at school in Worms. Someone had donated a TRS-80 computer to
us. OH YEAH! So in my free time I was also able to type my stories
in for my friends at school. Those were great days. :D
Then
came high school. In high school computers we were learning how to
use a word processor, a spreadsheet, a database, and of course BASIC.
I was happy in the computer lab. I remember the day I first used a
mouse. Boy was that exciting! We had purchased a new computer at
school. We, the students, sold Christmas wreaths each year to help
fund our computer lab. And that year with the money we made we got
to add a new computer to our lab. It was an Apple 2GS, and it had a
mouse... none of us had seen or used a mouse before. This was an
exciting day. There was a game, or application on that computer to
help teach you to use the mouse. Flying around
on the screen were several flies. You had to move the mouse around
to click on these
flies. This of course would kill that fly and you could move on to
the next. :D Mousing skills...
There was another
exciting addition to my computer world while I was in high school.
This was MODEM. Now we could actually talk to someone else on the
computer anywhere in the world. YAY! I was a senior. We had
probably used our wreath money to buy this modem, though I am not
sure about that. My math teacher had been for years offering classes
through the community college to us. This way as juniors or seniors
we could take some Gen Ed's during the summer and have a head start
on college. I took a couple of those classes during the summer, an
American History class and a English class. But then during my
senior year, Mrs. C. told me that she was going to have programming
class and was offering it to us. Todd and I signed up for that one.
We both loved programming. So the two of us went back to our high
school one evening a week that spring to work on this class. It was
one of these nights that Mrs. C. put the modem into the computer in
our classroom. She was so excited about it and of course wanted to
show us, her computer nerd students how it worked.
Well, of course
there were not many places that you could go with this wondrous piece
of technology. One place we could have went was the ESU. But that
was a long distance phone call, something that couldn't be wasted on
playing around with students. And I am sure that there wasn't a
whole lot of stuff to do or see there anyhow. So lucky for us, that
one of our IBM computer was sitting in the Shop classroom and the
other was in the computer lab. And even more lucky for us was the
fact that there was a telephone line in each of these classrooms. So
Todd went down to the Shop and I sat in the computer lab. And we
used to those modems to sit at opposite ends of our school and talk
to each other. :D
In college I was
majoring in computer science. So of course I had a lot of time on
the computer. I was in one of the two labs in our computer building,
or over at the lab in the library often. Though, I never used a
modem during this time. College came and went. The one notable
thing to mention here is that I used my student loan money to buy
myself a computer my last year of college. Haha. That was a good
thing, my own computer.
Then I came back
home and got my first teaching job. During those years, Deseray was
still in college down at UNL. I went down there to visit her as
often as I could. Those were great days, filled with all sorts of
exciting things. We would often sit (in the middle of the night) in
the computer lab in her dorm. She had discovered something,
something it took no time at all for me to come to love. That was
lambda moo. That was programmer geek's heaven. That was my Haunted
House game in REAL LIFE. I met people from all over the country. I
made all sorts of things. I ordered virtual pizzas and blew virtual
bubbles. I wandered around room after room of amazing places created
out of so many people's imagination. I needed to buy myself a modem.
It did not take me
long to get that done. I put that card in my computer. And then I
could 'talk' to Deseray anytime I wanted, even though we were 100
miles away from each other. And best of all, it wasn't even a long
distance phone call. It took me a month to realize that the minutes
that my provider allowed for me to use on my 'plan' was not enough
time. I checked my money, and learned just how much more I was
willing to spend on extra minutes. Then I was careful about how and
when I used those treasured minutes. There are many things that I
could say about those lambda moo days of my life.
Computers
and the ability to connect to people with them had shaped my life.
Here we jump ahead. Then I was one of the few using this technology.
Now nearly everyone does. The web – www.anything.com,
e-mail, Facebook, blogging. Wow the list is endless. I use my
computer and the Internet for so many things during the day. And at
least for me it all started with my Dad and a TRS-80 computer when I
was in the third grade.
No comments:
Post a Comment