I like to listen to audio books while driving in the car. I find this a great time to do this. I do not do all that much driving so sometimes I have to listen in other places as well. But a couple of weeks ago, the kids had a basketball tournament so we would be having at least an hour and half drive in the car. I took this as a great time to start listening to this book. (The kids also seem to enjoy listening to some of the books that I have picked for our car rides.) I did not tell the kids what book we were listening to. I was sure that they would be able to guess what it was as they had already seen the movie as well.
I was able to tell, just in the first few lines of the story. It was clearly Stardust. But it wasn't until much later that they kids were about to tell what book we were listening to. It was somewhere in the 3rd or 4th chapter. I guess they did not pay as much attention to the movie as I did. ;)
As always there were differences in the book. There were things that they had changed or left out when they made the movie. But it wasn't until today that I really started to wonder about the whole thing. So many of the 'exciting' scenes from the movie were not in the book at all. It was as if they thought wow this book really needs a battle scene. Or there just isn't enough conflict here to keep people's attention.
I have so far really enjoyed the book. I am coming close to the end of the story. And I am beginning to wonder if the final conflict from the movie is even going to be in the book. This is all so strange to me. I think that the book would have made an excellent movie. I do not think that all of that craziness would have been needed. I wonder at the movie-makers and their lack of confidence in the public's ability to watch and enjoy what was clearly a good book. Do we really need battles, conflict, death, bombs and destruction? There was some of this in the book, but really why all of the changes?
No comments:
Post a Comment